Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Got Nasal Allergies? Consider a Netipot


I am a lifelong allergy sufferer. I received allergy shots throughout childhood and into my twenties until my doctor decided I was not benefiting from them. After that I did fairly well using daily prescription allergy medication as recommended by my physician.

When I moved from the upper Midwest to central Texas I soon started to feel like I was losing control of my seasonal allergy symptoms. "Cedar fever", a term for the malaise that afflicts many people when cedar pollen counts are high, hits me hard. Fall brings nasal congestion, itchy to slightly sore throat, irritated eyes, post-nasal drip and sometimes a productive cough. I feel like I am coming down with a cold on and off for weeks.

I needed to find relief so I decided to give a netipot a try. A netipot is a small pot with a long, narrow spout used to pour an isotonic salt water solution through ones nostrils. It aids in removing mucous from the sinuses and cleansing allergens from the nasal passages. Using one may seem a little daunting and does take some getting used to, but after about five days I had noticeable relief from my allergy symptoms.

Netipot kits can be found in most drugstores. They will include the necessary netipot and ready-to-use packets, the contents of which are added to tap water to make the salt water solution. Alternatively you can make your own solution mixing salt and warm water. Baking soda also may be added. Directions for doing this can easily be found on the Internet.

The solution is mixed in the netipot and the spout is inserted into ones nostril. Tilting the head to the side over a sink, allow the solution to flow into the nostril and out the other, rinsing the nasal passages. Continue this process until the netipot is emptied. While pouring, you should keep your mouth open and breath. If the mouth is closed you will soon feel like you are drowning and will, without a doubt, be turned off by the netipot ritual before you have reaped its benefits. Repeat this process with the other nostril.

Use the netipot one to two times daily for a safe and natural alternative for achieving relief from your allergies. Demonstrations of netipot use can be found on YouTube. Check a couple out.

No comments:

Post a Comment