Monday, July 1, 2013

Why Dog Lovers Hate Designer Puppy Breeders


Many designer puppy breeders produce puppies solely for the money and could care less about the health and welfare of the puppies they sell. If you love dogs, that's why you might despise mixed breed or designer dog breeders.

Let's look at two Cockapoo dog breeders and check out the differences between the two in terms of their approach to an actual purchase.

Case Study - Living Proof of a Less Than Reputable Cockapoo Puppy Breeder
I purchased a Bichon Cockapoo (Alvin) online. It was my first online pet purchase and I did as much research as I thought was necessary. It wasn't enough.

Alvin arrived with a urinary tract infection, an intestinal parasite, and a scratching/allergy condition. The first two conditions were resolved with antibiotics and medication to kill the parasites, but both took a month to correct with several rounds of medication.

After 4 months, ear drops, skin mite shots, and prescription food, he's still scratching. Interesting that the last email I sent to the breeder mentioned the scratching. There was no response and I haven't heard from her since.

Clearly, this breeder is not reliable and represents the type of puppy breeder dog lovers rant about constantly in pet forums.

Case Study - Living Proof of a Reputable Cockapoo Puppy Breeder
Three months after getting Alvin, I purchased a second Cockapoo (Simon) from a puppy breeder in Pennsylvania. This time I visited the dog breeder, saw the puppy, and talked at length with the breeder about his care. She explained the type of food, supplements, and housetraining techniques to use.

The breeder and I continue to correspond via email about the puppy's care. Simon checked out perfectly with my vet and continues to get the required vaccinations.

Of the two breeders I discussed in this article, which one would you pick for your next Cockapoo puppy?

Who's Responsible?
My experience tells me that not all Cockapoo breeders are greedy and uncaring. Granted, there are hundreds of dog breeders who create havoc for their more reputable colleagues.

But isn't it up to the consumer to do the research before the purchase? Who's to blame if you buy a dog whose breeder does not care for the animal? Look in the mirror, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment